Expat Health Cover for Families
One of the most important reasons to arrange international health insurance for families is to ensure access to quality medical facilities in any country expatriates choose to reside.
Worldwide health insurance plans and benefits often look similar, however they all have different benefits and limits, apply different exclusions and are designed to work in different ways.
These policies differ considerably from local health insurance products in that they provide cover worldwide, deliver higher annual limits, provide comprehensive benefits and cover at both private and public medical facilities. Such elements allow globally mobile families choice and flexibility.
The continuation of cover that international policies guarantee, protects the expatriate family’s continued lifestyle should a chronic illness develop or an injury occur, meaning the policy will continue to cover the cost of any treatment required as long as the premium continues to be paid.
Rather than simply sell a policy, we partner with you to understand your situation and needs, and find the right health insurance that is responsive, of maximum benefit and within budget.
Which Cover Is Best For You?
It is important to have the right cover to ensure ready access to medical care wherever you choose to live. Having the right cover ensures that in a life-threatening emergency, evacuation home or to a country with higher quality care will occur. Medical care varies significantly within regions and across countries, therefore it is essential to have comprehensive medical insurance suitable for the countries you live in and travel to.
A suitable plan is different for every family. Deciding on a suitable policy can be difficult when faced with the huge variety of policies on the market, the policy wordings, industry terminology and exclusions. Understanding these and how they apply to specific situations is important.
Our Impartial Advice Depends on Several Factors
Intended country of residence
What you need and want to be covered for
Pre-existing medical conditions
Benefits vs price
Accompanying family members
Global Albatross ensures you get the right medical cover for your situation, needs and budget.
The core section of any policy is the in-patient benefit. This provides cover for serious illnesses and accidents as well as medically necessary surgeries which are normally high-cost and require a stay in hospital.
Out-patient benefits automatically include cover for in-patient treatment, but also include treatment that does not require hospitalisation.
- Private or semi-private rooms
- Inpatient surgeries – including surgeons’ and anaesthetists’ fees
- Intensive care
- Cancer treatment
- Transplant services and kidney dialysis
- Diagnostic procedures
- Advanced medical imaging (MRI, CT and PET scans)
- Organ transplants
- Renal failure and dialysis
- Specialist consultations
- Emergency dental
- Emergency evacuation – includes travel costs for an accompanying person, accommodation and compassionate visits
- Medical repatriation – includes repatriation of mortal remains
Psychotherapy and psychiatric care
Includes in-patient benefits plus…
- Consultations with medical practitioners and specialists
- Out-patient surgeries
- Diagnostic tests
- Dental accidents
- Prescribed medication
- Maintenance of chronic conditions
- Physiotherapy and chiropractic treatment
- Osteopathy and acupuncture
- Podiatry and chiropody
- Chinese traditional medicine and homeopathy
- Psychotherapy and psychiatric treatment
- Speech therapy
- Therapeutic aids and appliances
- Maternity cover – Routine and complications of childbirth, 8-12 month wait-periods apply
- Dental care – Preventative, routine, major restorative, orthodontic treatment
- Health and wellness checks – physical exams, pap smears, mammograms, cancer screenings
- Vision – Spectacle lenses and frames, contact lenses and prescription sunglasses
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Terminal illness cover
- Travel insurance
- Life insurance
- Income protection
- Child immunisations
- Travel vaccinations
- Private or public hospital cover
- Cover for specific pre-existing conditions
- Easy claim processes, fast claim refunds and online claims tracking
- Family discounts
- No-claims discounts
- Direct billing – provided by some insurers and in some countries
- High-cost treatment pre-approval
- Lifetime renewable
- Optional 24-month moratorium or full medical underwriting (FMU)
- Medical advice help lines
- Money back guarantee periods
- Various payment methods and payment frequency options
- Smart phone apps
Areas of Cover
A number of areas of cover are available. However as an expatriate, a worldwide, excluding USA policy is important to consider. Worldwide cover ensures treatment of any illnesses or injuries, no matter where you are in the world, and also avoids the need for finding a new policy for each country or region that you relocate to.
WORLDWIDE (excluding USA)
ASIA and the PACIFIC
Our 5-Step Process
1. Situation and needs analysis
We ask questions that are quick and easy to answer and help us determine the type of cover you need.
2. Compare options
Insurers are identified that are likely to best meet your requirements. Benefit and premium comparisons are provided.
3. Fine tune
Preferred plan options are fine-tuned. Policy benefits and premium are negotiated on your behalf, saving you time and money.
4. Policy selection
Options are discussed and recommendations provided. The application is managed to ensure it progresses as it should.
Policy is arranged and documentation delivered. We hold insurers to account, arrange payment guarantees, advocate on your behalf with claims, and deliver medical emergency support.